[argyllcms] Re: dispcal & BT.1886

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:10:10 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:
> What sort of usage would you recommend when profiling a typical display in a
> typical work
> environment? Should I continue to just use the defaults until I have good
> reason to start
> fiddling with the knobs?

It's hard to make generalisations. Input offset is an approach that maintains
contrast near black, but it can be hard for some displays to match the
response curve needed, and some people may not like the way the dynamic
range is not compressed at all (Normally a sigma type compression is
more visually desirable). For displays with inherently low black level,
output offset may be the best choice, and in other cases some
intermediate choice may give a more acceptable subjective result.
So you really need to try it out and see for yourself.