[argyllcms] chartread feature request / pipedream...

Hi,

I've been playing with my i1pro recently, and it occurred to me that there's a feature that could be added to chartread that would make this instrument much less of a pain to use for strip reading. (Come back DTP41 - all is forgiven!)

My strip-reading sessions with the i1 currently seem to go something like this:

chartread chart

colprof -ql -v chart

Read error report - if it's reasonable, profile at a higher quality setting, job done. If the error's excessively high:

profcheck chart.ti3 chart.icc

Find patch numbers exhibiting extreme error values

grep patch_number chart.ti2 - to find out which strip(s) contain the errant patches

chartread -r chart    -     to re-read the bad strips.

lather, rinse, repeat.

So here's the feature request / pipe dream:

Upon having read the last strip, chartread could build a low-res, heavily-smoothed model from the readings, then find the peak fitting error for each strip. The overall peak error would be displayed - and then, when the user uses the forward and backward controls to select a strip for re-reading, the current fitting error for that strip would be displayed. I think that would help a lot in increasing confidence in a set of readings.

So what do people think - good idea, or am I just dreaming again? ;)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson