[argyllcms] Re: brightness scaled down a lot

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:15:29 +1100

Karl H. Beckers wrote:
So, what's happening here is that, if my native whitepoint is kinda bluish and I ask for 5000K, the calibration would need to down (since there are no HW controls on my laptop) the LUT for the blue and green channel. And apparently it needs to decrease the brightness of those channels so much that the overall brightness can no longer reach 100. Is that the correct interpretation?

Yes. The native maximum range from the channels forms a "cube" of
space in 3D, and the white is one corner of the cube. You are asking for
a smaller cube, but the white corner you are asking for is outside
the range the monitor is capable of reproducing.

Here you are saying that is I had a display that could do say 160 cd/sqm natively, my chances would be better that even with two channels turned down, I'd get 100 overall brightness?

Yes.