[argyllcms] Re: brightness scaled down a lot

  • From: "Karl H. Beckers" <karl.h.beckers@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:33:36 +0100

Graeme,

thanks for your insights. Just so that I make sure I understand what you're
saying ....

> [...]
> The gamut of your monitor doesn't permit you to achieve 5000K and the
> brightness you've asked for.

So, what's happening here is that, if my native whitepoint is kinda bluish
and I ask for 5000K, the calibration would need to down (since there are no
HW controls on my laptop) the LUT for the blue and green channel. And
apparently it needs to decrease the brightness of those channels so much
that the overall brightness can no longer reach 100. Is that the correct
interpretation?

[...]
> >> Uncalibrated response:
> >> Black level = 0.56 cd/m^2
> >> White level = 122.37 cd/m^2
>
> You don't have very much brightness range to play with.

Here you are saying that is I had a display that could do say 160 cd/sqm
natively, my chances would be better that even with two channels turned
down, I'd get 100 overall brightness?

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Karl.