[argyllcms] Re: [argyllcms]

  • From: János, Tóth F. <janos666@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:51:35 +0200

> Yes, its WG display. I've read somewhere that 10deg observer provides
> better match in perceived WB between WG and standard displays, so it was a
> reason of my question.
>
> **

With my given displays (really wide gamut H-IPS and near-AdobeRGB S-PVA) the
CIE FOV10 observer calibration caused bigger differences (according to my
subjective experience) than the CIE FOV2 observer.
And  (according to my subjective experience - again) gamut correction is
more important than white balance fine-tuning. The over-saturation of the
narrower gamut encoded sources will be very noticeable. You don't need any
instruments to decide if you see humans or humanoid lobsters in Rec709
movies while a small drift in the white balance can be easily ignored as
human eye can adapt to it.

But most of the CMS engines are based on the standard FOV10 observer. So,
the gamut emulation will be drifted when you use it. It won't be hard to
notice.
On the other hand, it's hard to notice the WP drift (not an uncalibrated
cheap display vs calibrated but FOV2 vs FOV10....) when you see only one
display. (according to my subjective experience - again)