[argyllcms] Re: argyll colormanagement tools for endusers

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:28:59 +1100

Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
> At the end of the process, this UI should be easy to install with
> argyllcms on different platforms. Ideal would be one installer for both
> applications...

> 1a) MacOS X and Windows: free GMB MeasureTool

Under the current circumstances, this is not something I'm interested
in doing (at least, not as GPL software). Of course, there's nothing
preventing someone else starting such a project, if they are sufficiently
keen.

> 1a) MacOS X and Windows: free GMB MeasureTool
> The GMB MeasureTool is part of the Demo-Package of the GMB Profilemaker.
> It is bundled with several versions of IT/8 7.3 or ECI2002 testcharts
> for printing. After measuring, it delivers CGATS / IT8 / ISO 12640
> conform measurement-data. Measurements can be done with the free
> demo-version.
>
> My question: has anybody tested, if measurement-data from the GMB
> measuretool can be read directly read by argyllcms ?

It should be possible to import a measurement file into Argyll.
logo2cgats already handles such a thing for the measurement
files from the SpectroScan.

Various people have used other instruments (for example the
Spectrocam) with argyll in a similar manner (pasting the
measurements into a .ti3 file).

> 1b ) Directly driving the i1
> -----------------------------

> questions:
> - Is it right, that the i1 is not supported actually ?

There's no current direct support for the i1.

> - If somebody is interested to write an interface for the i1 , I may can

I think Gerhard summed things up rather well. One of the difficulties
I see with the i1 is that it's hard to understand how a closed source
proprietary set of drivers meshes with a GPL project. They
don't sit well together (and probably can't be distributed as
a package, even if the owners of the drivers gave permission),
leaving it up to the end users to put things together.

I notice that the i1 comes with drivers and software for MS Windows
and Apple Mac, but didn't notice any drivers or SW for Linux, or other
operating systems.

Reverse engineering the USB protocol would be rather tedious, unsure
of success, and is not likely to please GMB I imagine, but at the
moment it seems to be the only way of addressing these various
concerns.