[argyllcms] Re: another X error

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:56:19 +1000

Stefan Döhla wrote:

Did you already look into the fglrx API? This seems to be ATI's API for accessing the LUT with their own (closed-source) drivers (which don't work with the default XVidMode-Ext).

It's the first I've heard of such an API. I'm not sure it would actually solve this problem either, since it's unclear whether the fglrx screen number is affected by MergeFB (or can you confirm that it allows accessing the underlying screen, even when MergeFB is active ?)

> I do personally only own an NVidia
card but implemented the API for xcalib on a user's request. It looks like being some mixture of their Win32 stuff and XVidMode-Ext. At least one can access all ATI cards by some kind of index - but don't know how flexible it really is.

Hard for me to develop such a thing since I don't currently own an ATI card. The whole point of operating system drivers is to cover up such detail. This works successfully on MSWindows and OSX, and X11 has a long established mechanism (XVidMode-Ext) that will also work with all cards, if the vendors bother write compatible drivers.

The bad thing about it is: I don't know whether one can detect the accelerated fglrx driver with a normal application easily.

I don't think I'm going to pursue such a direction at present. I'd prefer to see this issue solved by x.org, or the X11 driver providers. Perhaps it would help if those affected by this problem direct queries to the card vendors, since they are the vendors customers.