[argyllcms] absolute made relative

I just want to confirm my belief...

If I have two CMYK profiles, 'source' and 'destination' made from
substrates with different colors (one is for example Lab 96,1,-6 and
the other 95,0,-2). One is press, the other one proofer.
Of course transforming colors from 'source' to 'destination' by
absolute and relative intents will yield different results.
If I have a system that is only capable of absolute transforms, yet I
want a relative one.
Will editing the media white point tag in the source profile to match
that of the destination profile, make the absolute intent yield the
same results as the relative one?
Or besides editing the media white point tag, one should transform all
the colors in the colorimetric table via a Bradford or something like
that?

best regards,

-- Roberto Michelena