[argyllcms] Re: XYZ and wavelength interval

  • From: Keith Winstein <keithw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:53:21 -0400

Hi Matthieu,

You should still think of the calculation as an integral over
wavelength. Doing a sum every 5 nm is a kind of "box-car"
interpolation to the integral; you're accumulating a series of
rectangles of width 5 nm and height equal to the product of the color
matching function and your source's spectral irradiance/radiance. So
you need to multiply the height (the product) by 5 (the "dlambda"). If
you had samples every 10 nm instead and were still doing box-car
interpolation, you'd have to multiply by 10.

Of course if the end goal is just XYZ in relative units and not
illuminance/luminance on an absolute scale, you don't really need to
do the multiplication as long as you always do the sum the same way
every time.

Best,
Keith