[argyllcms] Re: What about buying/donating a colormunki?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:07:59 +1100

Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:

I'm happy to hear that you have changed your mind  about the spyder3.
The spyder3print could of course also be considered.

Hi,
        I've always been prepared to work on it, but I'm not
prepared to buy such an instrument for myself, since it's
not one I particularly want (and certainly don't need!).
[What I really want is an A3 size i1iSis, since that's what all
the serious users that I'm targeting with my software use.]
The expectation is that it won't take much effort to support
the Spyder 3, since it's likely to be quite similar to the Spyder 2.
Being able to extract the binary blob needed to get it
to run may be the biggest problem.

The spyder3print/Print FX is not something I really want
to spend any time on. Because it's a completely different
technology to any other instrument (LED illuminant based
rather than grating based), it is likely to be just as
tricky to figure out as the Eye-One Pro (2-3 months work
full time - and no-one paying for that), and it's nowhere
near as attractive a device. I'm not confident it gives
very good readings (although testing would be needed to
settle this), it doesn't seem very convenient
to use (one patch at a time measurement), and the vendor
is hostile.

A far more interesting devices is this one:
<http://www.saicolor.com/sprint.html>, as it's
far more usable (reads several strips at once),
is grating based, and the company behind it has
indicated they are willing to support open source
drivers for it :-)