[argyllcms] Re: What about buying/donating a colormunki?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 15:16:46 +1100

Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
I have an idea. What about if we together donate a colormunki
spectrometer to Graeme? I have seen that both bhphoto and amazon have
this device, and they also sell gift cards. So that's one possibility.
 We could also use PayPal or something like that. We should also have
in mind that Graeme probably have to pay tax of some kind. We should
of course also ask Graeme if he is interested getting his hand on this
device.

It's certainly possible for someone to send me an instrument,
although you would have to be prepared to ship it to Australia.
(Someone has offered to send me a Spyder 3, but I haven't yet
taken up that offer, since I'm thinking that it would
be better to split the expenses amongst a few individuals.)
Gifts attract the 10% Goods and serviced tax (GST) for any
value over A$200.

Another option would be for me to set up a PayPal account
for people to make donations to. There'd be the PayPal
and other (minor) banking fees involved, and I'd end up paying
local prices for the gear (including 10% GST), which tends to
be a bit less competitive than the U.S., but it may be
the most convenient way for people to pool their resources,
and for me to be able to make use of it.

Local suppliers for me are:

<http://www.imagescience.com.au/ColourControl/colourProducts>
Color Munki Photo A$649

and here (Ausmedia are usually more competitive on price):

<http://www.ausmedia.com.au/ColorMunki_Design_Pantone.htm>
Color Munki Photo A$589 (Sale Price).

Although the prices may increase as the drop in the Australian
dollar catches up with things.

what do people think ?