[argyllcms] Re: Use of calibrated display to profile digital camera

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:37:25 +1000

Milan Knížek wrote:
Have anyone tried to use calibrated and profiled display to create a
profile for digital camera and got good results? Would it make sense
considering low-end display calibration tools (Eye One II, Huey)?

I would be a bit surprised if it gave a good result, just because of
the dramatic differences between reflective targets spectral
characteristics and a display. Displays are almost always quite
narrow wavelength sources, to maximize their gamut, whereas real
world reflective colors are generally smooth (depending on the lighting
of course). So while you could characterize the camera sensors
transfer characteristic, I would guess that the critical grey
balance factor would be "not quite right", just like trying to
profile a printer using a scanner or camera.