[argyllcms] Re: Use of calibrated display to profile digital camera

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:12:55 -0700
On 2008 Jul 27, at 12:45 AM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> The  issue with  using a  printer is  similar to  a photographic
> target like  the IT8  - the  patches are composed  of 3  or more
> primary  inks,  and therefore  may  not  represent the  spectral
> composition that you want to capture  in the real world (but how
> do you know what that will be anyway ?).

That's the  marketing /  sales pitch  behind the  ColorChecker (at
least, the  24-patch one) -- ``carefully  selected'' pigments that
simulate real-world objects.

I'll have to check again, but  I remember that the frequency plots
of the patches  are all very simple -- steep  bell-curve peaks, or
a  single  transition from  low  reflectance  to high. Except  the
neutrals, of course.

> But they  won't be  as radically different  as a  display device
> though.

That's good to know.

> The more your capture device resembles the human eye in terms of
> its spectral response (the Luther condition), the fewer problems
> there will be with this aspect anyway.

That's even better to know.

It sounds like the 12-ink  printers probably actually /are/ ``good
enough,'' and that my humble 8-ink  Canon i9900 is probably a good
source for a majority of the patches.

I'm thinking that  I'll have to take  the i1 and the  laptop on an
excursion....

Cheers,

b&