[argyllcms] Re: Understanding display profiles

  • From: Volker Sauer <vsauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:04:48 +0200

On Mo, 21 Jul 2008, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Right, so you created a calibration and also a profile that
> uses that calibration, and then saves it into the resulting profile
> as a vcgt tag.

So far, I understood everything.

> >What exactly needs to set up in the dispaly? If I specify -t 6500, do if
> Yes, all the aim point options of dispcal setup the calibration.
> The .cal file contains the VideoLUT curves that put the display
> in the desired calibrated state. The profile then represents
> the color behavior of the calibrated display.

Okay, understood.
A little question: if I specify -t 6500, do I
a) need to fiddle around with the display controls to bring the display
to 6500?
b) will the calibration do that for me, when I load the calibration or
profile with vcgt tag in to the LUT?

Which means actually:
does "target" mean, that I have to adjust the display to this target or
that the calibration will do that (assuming that the display physically
is set to the same values are during the calibration process)?

> >What can I do about my special situation - I cannot calibrate the second
> >screen and calibrating only the first gives an annoying difference in
> >colors - can I use colormanagment at all this way?
> It comes down to what the applications are capable of. Unfortunately one
> "application" that is often not color managed is the window manager. If
> it was color managed, then you would be able to specify the different
> GUI decoration elements in device independent color terms, and the
> profile would be effective in matching it to other displays.

Actually I don't need color managed GUI decorations.

> Color managed applications should be capable of using the profile
> to display images in a manner that is (largely) independent of
> the individual display characteristic.

The software I usually use is
- GIMP
- digikam
- ufraw

All of those support color management.
And as far as I understood until now, the only possibility is load the
.cal-file or the vgct tag to the first monitor with dispwin (at least
when I do my photo work) *and* specify the corresponding ICC profile in
{GIMP, ufraw, digikam} to make sure chain is complete. Right?

> Maybe some broader "background" type explanation ?

Right now, I'm in the process of reading those books:
in german:
http://www.springer.com/computer/media+design/book/978-3-540-20969-0 (a
lot of print stuff in here)
http://www.springer.com/computer/media+design/book/978-3-540-37327-8 (a
lot of math in here)
in english:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/Color-Management-for-Digital-Photographers-For-Dummies.productCd-0470048921.html
I have those 3 as ebooks from my universities library.

I might have to buy this on, since it's not available as an ebook:
http://www.mitp.de/vmi/mitp/detail/pWert/1626
I'll see if I need it after having the others finished.

I think those books and the webpages I've read give me the broader
background I need.
I think my problem is to get the clue how all the theoretical concepts
are implemented in argyll.

Volker

--
  Volker Sauer  *  Poststrasse 1/601   *   64293 Darmstadt  *   Germany
  E-Mail/Jabber: vsauer(at)volker-sauer.de * http://www.volker-sauer.de