[argyllcms] The Eye One! It works!

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:33:18 -0700

Graeme,

First  of all,  please  again accept  my heartfelt  thanks. Argyll
itself is at least  as good as it's ever been. But  now -- the Eye
One! It works perfectly! I  can't tell you how wonderful  it is to
actually use Argyll  as you intended it, instead of  having to use
that kludge with x-rite's ColorPort. And  I can profile my display
with Argyll as well!

I'm afraid  I can't offer any  help with the important  stuff, but
here're a few  very small burrs that you might  want to polish out
if you get a chance.

First,  a typo. There's  an  extra apostrophe  in  the message  to
calibrate the  device: ``Place the  instrument on  it's reflective
white  reference...''  should be  ``Place  the  instrument on  its
reflective white reference....''

(I did mention that these were very minor, no?)

Next,   I  think   it  would   be  reasonable   to  make   the  -H
high-resolution mode the default. I'd  think that the overwhelming
majority of  people would rather use  it than not. If so,  why not
make  the  common choice  the  default,  rather than  requiring  a
switch?

In a  similar vein...why not  make the inclusion of  spectral data
with  dispread be  the default? Even  if not  as many  people will
specify a different  white point for a monitor  profile, surely it
doesn't do any harm to include the data in the file?

With  printread, I  like the  beep confirming  that it's  ready to
scan. But I'd  *really* like audible  feedback for the  success or
failure of  scanning. Perhaps one  beep on  success, and  three on
failure? That way,  I wouldn't have to  look up to make  sure that
the strip was read okay.

Last -- at least, for now -- the following message gets printed at
the end of using printread:

    Updating the calibration and log parameters to EEProm failed

I'm not  worried about it,  but I  suspect that this  is something
you'd want to fix / suppress / etc.

Thanks again, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help
you make Argyll even better.

Cheers,

b&

P.S. I created  a 16K patch target  for my monitor and  let it run
overnight -- something unimaginable  to me before. The improvement
in contrast, shadow detail, etc.,  is rather amazing. Now I'm just
worried that I'm going to have  to spend a couple hours scanning a
similarly-sized print target for my favorite paper.... b&