[argyllcms] Re: Spectral to sRGB

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:16:28 +0200

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have no experience with the ColorMunki, but I would trust its numbers over
> those found on the internet. My experience had been that it's much easier to
> read a color than it is to display it accurately, especially with the
> difficulties of making reflective and emissive media appear the same.
> Without a controlled light source and a well calibrated, easily profiled
> monitor, the visual errors are likely to be many times higher than those
> shown in the reading by your CM. The surrounding colors also make a huge
> difference to the appearance of colours.
>
> What is the sample, and viewing light?

Yeah I'm cheating a bit, we're talking about regular cheap office lighting :)

In any case, I had access to a recent Pantone swatch, which more or
less indicated that the Munki was pretty much on the mark...

But I still have a significant visual discrepancy... The bigger
problem obviously is that I'm not targeting a well calibrated display
:(

Are there any guidelines to translate "accurate color" to "general web
use", if that makes any sense at all...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn