[argyllcms] Re: Simple and preliminary profile for epson 3880

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:51:04 -0400

I think you need to ask the question whether your existing profiles are
deficient and if so in which color regions.  First you need to check whether
any of the existing Epson profiles you have are version 2 or 4 profiles.  I
don't believe version 4 profiles will work with Argyll (I know that my
ColorMunki software creates Version 4 profiles as a default and they are not
read by Argyll).  Personally I think you are using too many patches for
creating Epson 3880 profiles.  I used 980 patches with my ColorMunki and got
very fine profiles as judged by a visual test print (I have an i1 spectro on
order to refine these profiles).    One other point in the p/s, you will get
better results in B&W printing if you use the Epson ABW print driver.  It
gives you a deeper black and better (but not perfect) linearity.  There are
ways to profile the ABW print driver for improved linearity using QTR or
having a custom profile made.  At this point I don't believe Argyll supports
creation of this type of profile though I would like to see one given the
amount of B&W printing that I do.

cheers,

Alan