[argyllcms] Re: Scanner profile with Wolf Faust IT8 target

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:40:44 +1000

Umberto Guidali wrote:

> For the both profile I used a colprof with –qu and –ax options. I think that
> the result was very good.

Hi,
        I'm not sure if that will work so well though. An IT8 has very few
patches,
and they are not distributed very evenly in the colorspace. Scanners
should be fairly additive, so you may get a better result using a matrix
profile (-as), even though the degree of fit will be worse.

> Do you think that the profile will be more accurate with 16 bit for channel
> source image target?

It depends on the characteristics of the scanner. If the scanner is producing
linear light values, then 16 bits will be better. If it is producing
gamma encoded values, then 8 bits may be enough.

> Could you suggest some free software that allow to interface scanner in TWAIN
> mode that support
> saving fit at 48 bit?

Sorry, I don't know much about that area. Perhaps someone else can
chime in.