[argyllcms] Re: Recommended LCD monitor?

  • From: Adrian Mariano <adrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:59:41 -0500

Leonard Evens wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 17:51 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
I am ready to give up on my Samsung 226CW.  I had a lot of success with
a Viewpoint CRT, but it just got to dim, which is why I bought the
Samsung.
(Because of my back I can't manage the weight of a CRT.)   I called
Xrite about another matter and was told they regularly have problems
advising people with Samsungs, but that almost any other of the standard
brands in the range $300-600 should produce decent results.  (I can't
see spending several thousand on a first class professional monitor, and
I shouldn't need one for the work I do.)

I was looking at some monitors at Office Depot today, and i noticed that
the adjustments for Viewpoint monitors seemed similar to those on my
CRT, although I suppose they do entirely different things.   I had a
good understanding of what I was doing when calibrating/profiling my
CRT, but I am still not clear what the best procedure should be for an
LCD, partly because it is not very clear just what the controls do.

Any recommendations for a monitor that was easy to work with?

I found at clarkvision.com, a site I've found useful before, the
suggestion that one should avoid a TN monitor and use an S-IPS monitor
instead.
The reason is to provide less dependence on viewing angle.

I have notices with my Smasung monitor that there is a strong dependence
on the vertical viewing angle, so my position with respect to the
monitor is important in order to avoid an apparent vertical gradient.

Given that I can control just how I view the monitor, how important is
this?   Are all TN type monitors deficient in this respect, or are some
better than others?
I recently received a 22" LCD TN panel at work (NEC LCD225WXM) and I can see a color gradient across the display from one viewing position. In other words, the viewing angle at the corners differs enough from 0 degrees that I already see shifts in color. My understanding is that this is an inherent and unavoidable property of TN and that if you really care about color you should avoid TN. I discovered this issue when I naively bought an LCD for my home that happened to be TN, and at home we gather around the computer to look at pictures, and somebody might be standing, somebody might be sitting---they see different things. When I got into an argument with my wife about whether a displayed color was green or blue I realized that this monitor just wouldn't do. I replaced it with an S-IPS model (NEC 20WMGX). With this one I don't notice any shift in the color from any reasonable viewing angle.