[argyllcms] Recommended LCD monitor?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:51:08 -0600

I am ready to give up on my Samsung 226CW.  I had a lot of success with
a Viewpoint CRT, but it just got to dim, which is why I bought the
Samsung.
(Because of my back I can't manage the weight of a CRT.)   I called
Xrite about another matter and was told they regularly have problems
advising people with Samsungs, but that almost any other of the standard
brands in the range $300-600 should produce decent results.  (I can't
see spending several thousand on a first class professional monitor, and
I shouldn't need one for the work I do.)

I was looking at some monitors at Office Depot today, and i noticed that
the adjustments for Viewpoint monitors seemed similar to those on my
CRT, although I suppose they do entirely different things.   I had a
good understanding of what I was doing when calibrating/profiling my
CRT, but I am still not clear what the best procedure should be for an
LCD, partly because it is not very clear just what the controls do.

Any recommendations for a monitor that was easy to work with?
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University