[argyllcms] Re: RGB printer profiling, A2B tables

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:30:16 +0100

Graeme Gill wrote:
Currently I'm happy that Argyll's approach
is at least consistent and functional.

I'm more that happy. Your work is great. IMO you also showed some of the commercial vendors which side one's bread is buttered on.

As for a standard gamut mapping algorithm, I hardly see that as
desirable. Gamut mapping is very definitely still a research
topic, and will almost certainly be one for many year to come.
It's just not desirable to anoint one in a standard.
This situation is hardly surprising, since gamut mapping is
at least 50% art and taste, not science. Do you
really want color management to be frozen at the state of
the art 2005, rather than further improving ?

No, not at all! But then again, the graphic industry badly *needs* a standardized gamut mapping to sore and carry media independent data.

It would be
far wiser I think, to settle on standards that don't depend
on standardizing a gamut mapping algorithm for their
interoperabillity.

... or to agree upon a provisional one.

Have a nice day (or maybe night in Australia?)

Klaus