[argyllcms] Re: Profiling my Lenovo X61 display

  • From: Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:21:14 -0800

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Andrew Lutomirski <amluto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IIRC the x61 display looks a lot like the x200s display, which is
> (color-wise) an absolute piece of crap.  The color of the native gray
> varies a lot from black to white (non-linearly, too), and no matter
> what you do to the screen, it can only display a small fraction of
> sRGB.

Yes, I assumed as much. I was just profiling it so that it would look
closer to the other screen as they're side by side. I only really do
color work on the Dell.

> The best you can do is probably to pick a white point that doesn't
> lose too much brightness and looks decent (I picked 6000K), set
> parameters to let the whitepoint be different when black (I think -yl
> implies this), and calibrate.  Once calibrated, I think you might as
> well use a matrix profile since you're not going to get a good match
> for real images regardless.  (If you're editing very narrow gamut
> images, then go for a LUT profile, but otherwise, why bother?)

How do you pick the 6000K though? The laptop has no adjustments. And
the matrix profile resulted in horrible brown blacks when I did it
before. What would I do differently so it doesn't happen?

> At least calibrating stopped all grays from looking blue on my monitor.

That's pretty much the point really.

Pedro