[argyllcms] Re: Profiling a Minilab

Am 03.07.2010 19:19, schrieb Pascal de Bruijn:
> Well, the Lab in this case is foto.com, they can print in three
> configurations:
>
> FOTO.com Classic (Kodak Edge Glossy)
> FOTO.com Professional (Kodak Royal Matte)
> FOTO.com Professional (Kodak Royal Glossy)

I guess that big photo services like foto.com and others do not only
have a single, but many machines. Can you ensure that subsequent print
jobs will be printed on the same machine that was used for printing the
target?

> They do offer an "uncorrected mode"...

... which is basically supposed to omit image-dependent enhancements,
but likely the print pipeline is still color managed, using perceptual
intent, and expecting sRGB images as input (some photo services possibly
also honor profiles embedded in the images, instead of generally
assuming sRGB). So profiling this workflow (for instance because you
don't like their perceptual transformation) would eventually result in
double profiling. I assume that some minilabs (i.e. the machines)
basically would support some kind of raw mode as well, which may be
better siuted for profiling, but as Edmund said, likely you need a
personal relationship with the operator in order to get it enabled.

Regards,
Gerhard