[argyllcms] Re: Problem with 1.1.0 RC2 ?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:51:25 +1100

andrzej duda wrote:

On 14 Dec 2009, at 07:55, Nikolay Pokhilchenko wrote:

You should use Ekta Space as Your source gamut while profiling display.

I did it. It's actually BestRGB (Ekta Space was grayed in dispcalGUI).

(c) 2009 adddr. Created with dispcalGUI and Argyll CMS:
dispcal -v -d1 -c1 -P0.672,0.22,2.75 -H -qh -t6500 -b100 -g2.2 -f1 -k0 -A20
colprof -v -qh -al -s "/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/BetaRGB.icc" -cmt -dmt

And nothing changed.

I think I've been able to improve the handling of these colors close
to, or beyond the spectrum locus, so hopefully it will look a little
smoother with the next release.

So what would be the workflow? You start with a picture with let's say BestRGB
embedded,
then you convert it into display profile and edit it in this space?

The workflow is up to you really. Ideally you might edit it in BestRGB space
(or another wide gamut space), although it may be awkward to see
what's going on if your monitor gamut is smaller than your image gamut.
Then convert to your output space (I'm assuming printer).

Converting through your monitor space isn't ideal unless it's
the final output space, since each conversion adds inaccuracy and
artifacts, and constrains the gamut. Naturally you have to have something
that converts to the monitor space to see what's going on and to preview though.

Why there is no such a problem with profiles made with i1Match.

There are many different ways of working. Argyll creates specific
gamut mappings, other software seems to use "generic" gamut mappings.