[argyllcms] Re: Problem when buying an instrument

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:49:36 -0800

On Friday 18 January 2008 03:23:45 Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 11:37 AM, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can probably achieve volumes by liaising with homecinema and photo
> > enthusiast associations such as homecinema-fr.com.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Nicolas Mailhot
>
> I'm not sure if Hal Engel is interested in high volume sale. I think
> he focus on spreading colormangment to open source users, and not
> spend a lot of time with packaging and shipping colorimeters. But I
> may be wrong.

I would not mind if either or both happened.  At the quoted price if the
volumes were high enough it would turn into a small business for me and would
help pay the bills.  I don't know if the volumes will ever reach that level
though.  If there were enough interest I would setup a small web site where
people could order these.

I would also expect that the meters would already be boxed when I receive them
so it is just a matter of dealing with shipping and accounting issues.  This
should not be that time consuming.  Longer term I might also be able to
arange for drop shipping which would make this very simple to manage.

> Another thing is what OEM exactly means. My interpretation is hardware
> without software, but I may be wrong again. But if it is without
> software it will not work with the hfcr software either, since you
> have copy a dll file from the manufacture software to get the
> communication up and running.

OEM does mean without the device vendors software but in this case the
software in question is the profiling application that would normally come
bundled with the meter if you purchased a retail device.  Anyone can download
the device drivers from the vendors web site and other OEMs sell these meters
for use on Windows and OS/X and they include the vendors drivers as part of
their bundle.  If the devices did not have a driver CD I would burn one and
include it if this were requested by the buyer.  They might also require me
to include a CD with my software with the device as well.

One other thing to note is that it is possible to use at least some of these
devices with ArgyllCMS or LProf using the vendors drivers on Windows with the
libusb-win32 filter driver.  This almost works on my machine for the i1dlt
but it tends to timeout on dark patches.  This could probably be fixed by
changing the time out setting for the filter driver.

> To buy quality hardware without software is of course a dream for most
> linux users. And I think this is a great chance for them to pick up a
> high quality devise for cheap. It looks like this price is the half of
> what other reliable source sell it for.

I think it depends on where you are.  Here in the US you can get EyeOne
Display Lt meters (which are really the same as the i1d2 with somewhat
crippled software) for as little as $139 plus shipping from a number of
retail outlets.  But I understand that in other countries that these are
significantly more expensive.

> I'm tempted to use the
> biblical expression "because thou knewest not the time of thy
> visitation.'". In Norway we use this expression in everyday talk to
> say something like "use the good opportunity when you have it."

Here in the US we would say "Strike while the iron is hot."  This is a
reference to shaping metal with a blacksmiths forge.

Hal