[argyllcms] Re: Printing using an ICC profile

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Alastair M. Robinson
<profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi :)

Hi, thanks for PhotoPrint, it's a really nice small app.

>> $ colprof -v -qm -S <path/to/display/profile.icc> -cmt -dpp MyR2880Profile
>
> Don't use the display profile unless your images really do originate in the
> monitor's colourspace, (This would be the case for images drawn from scratch
> using a non-colour-managed application, for example.)

I assumed that the idea was to use the monitor profile to try to match
the screen. I redid the test with sRGB and the result was pretty much
the same.

> When you print images using PhotoPrint the source profile is the one set as
> the "Default RGB Profile" in its colour management dialog.  This will be
> used for RGB images that don't have an embedded profile, so use this as the
> source profile for colprof.
> (If your images consistently have some other profile embedded in them, then
> use that instead.)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> If you end up with prints that are a little dark and muddy, you could also
> try using -cmd instead of -cmt (i.e. display with dim surround, thus colours
> appearing lighter on screen) - I tend to produce my own profiles this way,
> even with Argyll 1.1.0's new gamut mapping which itself goes some way to
> improving shadow detail.
>
> It's also worth experimenting with other source profiles - despite the
> common advice to avoid the bastardized Version 2 sRGB profiles like the
> plague, using the black_scaled version from this page:
> http://www.color.org/srgbprofiles.xalter
> gives markedly different results, and in some situations I've found it helps
> with garish saturated dark colours and skin tones.  As always
> experimentation is the key.  Just make sure you use whichever profile you
> select consistently - i.e. use the same one with colprof's -S parameter and
> in PhotoPrint's colour management dialog.

But then do I need to convert the image to this v4 sRGB before giving
it to photoprint or will it do that itself?

> If your skin tones are still way off after trying all this, then your
> problem is likely to be profile accuracy, so the answer may then be to hack
> some extra skin-tone patches into a .ti1 file manually, using a spreadsheet.

I'm guessing that is probably it. I guess I have to study the ti1
format and write my own with some different colors. I was expecting
this to be more straightforward. Oh, well.

Thanks for the help,

Pedro