[argyllcms] Printing using an ICC profile

  • From: Pedro Côrte-Real <pedro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:33:04 -0800

I've been trying to calibrate my Epson R2880 printer with a X-Rite
Color Munki. I first calibrated my screen and then calibrated the
printer by printing out some patches, reading them back with the color
munki and then generating a profile.

I generated and read 2 Letter sized pages of patches (~200 in total):
$ argyll-targen -f 190 -v -d3 -c <PreviousProfile.icc> -A.8 MyR2880Profile
$ printtarg -t -v -iCM -pLetter <ProfileName>
$ chartread MyR2880Profile

I then created the profile using the display profile as a basis. Is
this correct or should I use sRGB or some other working space?

$ colprof -v -qm -S <path/to/display/profile.icc> -cmt -dpp MyR2880Profile

I repeated the process twice using the previous profile
(PreviousProfile.icc) as an indication of which patches should be
generated. The third time didn't seem to show improvement over the
third.

All my printing is done with PhotoPrint. The calibration runs are done
with no printer ICC profile and the printer is driven by gutenprint
5.2.4 with the color correction set to "Uncorrected". To print I then
use the generated ICC profile in PhotoPrint's color management and
gutenprint is of course still set to "Uncorrected".

The first image I was testing with gave me a decent result when
printed with the profile but the color seemed a bit cooler than the
screen. The second image I tried however had quite awful skin tones
with a lot of yellow in them. What can I be doing wrong here?

Cheers,

Pedro