[argyllcms] Re: Poor Man's Reference Light Source (was: ColorMunki measurement drift)

  • From: Roger Breton <graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 14:28:10 -0400

Jurgen,

I would like to go along with your idea of building a small reference lamp
to share among ourselves. I'm sure many readers of the List will immediately
recognize the pitfalls in that kind of approach *but*, regardless of the
objections, personally, that would NOT keep me from participating in the
project,  since this is an idea keep coming back to every now and then, and
every time one commercial radiometrically-calibrated lamp standard come up
for sale on eBay, such as the one here :

http://gamma-sci.com/products/rs10b.html

Problem is, as you know, this lamp assembly is so expensive, no amateur
color enthusiasts could ever justify its cost of acquisition, especially for
the mere purpose of comparing various instruments response -- unless one has
deep pockets... As you would guess correctly, some List readers would even
argue, rightfully so, perhaps, that monitor's spectra are not remotely
comparable to the shape of this lamp spectra, and any effort to try to build
correction matrix factors, based on the response from the instrument to the
lamp, would be in vain since, they will argue, that this approach would
induce measurement errors, even if the effort actually affords us the means
of usefully starting to make inter-instrument agreement comparisons.

Minolta's statement with regards to the impossibility of every comparing
across various instrument's geometry and light sources is the sad truth, to
my knowledge. But this should not be holding us from launching into a lamp
project ;-)

/ Roger