[argyllcms] Poor Man's Reference Light Source (was: ColorMunki measurement drift)

  • From: Juergen Lilien <jp.lilien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:00:57 +0200

Hello!

Roger Breton wrote:

> The lamps these instruments are calibrated against are either PTB, NIST or
> NRC traceable, within their respective uncertainty budgets, which usually
> translate into fractions of delta Es.

This reminds me of an idea I had some days ago...

Wouldn't it be very handy to have a small very stable light source
for reference purpose, that could easily (at low cost) be shipped
between interested ArgyllCMS users?

This could be measured with the best (most accurate) instrument
available in the user base, to have a reference point. Maybe
the results could even be used with the new correction matrices
feature?

My first thought is, that this should be based on a high CRI white
LED with a very stable energy source (regulated/temperature compensated,
lithium battery based), all packed in a durable box.

I've read lately an interesting text on the inter-instrument agreement
by KonicaMinolta: http://goo.gl/kgrr
The conclusion "...it is not (or only within a specific tolerance)
possible to compare absolute measuring results of different instrument
types!" is once more disillusioning.

So what do you all think, is it worthwhile to follow up on
the "Poor Man's Reference Light Source" idea?

Regards, Juergen