[argyllcms] Re: Permissions problem under version 1.03

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 11:57:49 -0600

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 17:09 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > I am still puzzled about why there is a difference between versions 0.8
> > and version 1.03, but it could be that the more recent version has to be
> > able to modify the device in addition to being able to read it.
>
> One way of getting some clue about this would be to run the 1.0.3 and 0.8
> programs under strace, and show the result here, or mail them to me.
>
> Graeme Gill.

Sorry for bothering you about the matter.

I had just forgotten what I had done previously.  After rereading your
documentation and checking my old udev files, I found that, under Fedora
7, I had to tell the OS about the devices.  When I did the same thing
with 1.03 for Fedora 7, the problem disappeared.  I didn't try the
Policy-Kit method.

I've figured out why version 0.8 worked under Fedora 9---which is what
had confused me.  I had installed it as a Fedora package, and I'm pretty
sure that installed a relevant file in /etc/udev/rules.d. (I checked my
ubuntu machine where I had installed 1.03 as an Ubuntu package, and that
is exactly what happened.)  When I removed the package and replaced it
with the 1.03 binaries, the file in rules.d was also removed.