[argyllcms] Permission denied on USB device

  • From: Chris Lilley <chris@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:24:31 +0100

Hello argyllcms,

I'm puzzled by an error I get with the XRite i1D3 on Fedora, using ArgyllCMS
1.3.5 (this is the colorhug livecd, and i was trying to compare the two
instruments).

[liveuser@localhost ~]$  targen -d3 pa246q-adobe-i1D3[liveuser@localhost ~]$
dispcal -v -qm -m -g 2.2  -t 6500 -d1 -yl -P 0.5,0.5,1.2 pa246q-adobe-i1D3
Setting up the instrument
libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/008: Permission denied.
libusb requires write access to USB device nodes.
dispcal: Error - Opening USB port 'usb:/bus2/dev8/ (Xrite i1 DisplayPro,
ColorMunki Display)' config 1 failed (Access denied (insufficient permissions))
(Permissions ?)

So the device is at least recognised, but can't be communicated with.Seeing the
'permission denied' I tried to su but

[liveuser@localhost ~]$ sudo dispcal -v -qm -m -g 2.2  -t 6500 -d1 -yl -P
0.5,0.5,1.2 pa246q-adobe-i1D3

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

liveuser is not in the sudoers file.  This incident will be reported.

LOL.

If the answer is 'use a real distro not a liveCD' then that is fine but I would
like a "because" with it. On the other hand if it is something I did wrong,
please advise.

The same dispcal command worked with the colorhug, with firmware 1.1.3

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG