[argyllcms] Perceptual+Saturation intent using the whole ink space

  • From: Ignacio Ruiz-de-Conejo Viloria <ignacio.ruizdeconejo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:06:29 +1000

Hi, list

Maybe this has has been answered before, but I have dived through
about using the whole gamut of a printer, expanding if necessary.

Using ICC V2,  printing an sRGB image may render images that are not
taking advantage of the whole printer gamut.
We may choose to use the PRMG_RGB-sRGB_based.icc profile provided by
the ICC, to map the original sRGB values into CIELAB that is inside
the PRMG gamut. However, all those colors inside the PRMG and outside
our printer will get clipped to the printer's gamut, losing the
details in the dark tones. However, I am not aware (have not shopped
for a while) of commercial profile generators that, on top of claiming
V4 compliance, implement proper v4 behavior and certain level of
intelligence in the gamut mapping directed towards exploting the
printer's gamut.

I am not sure if colprof would be able to generate an output profile
that has a PCS gamut similar to PRMG and then a 'progressive' gamut
mapping into the printer gamut. On the other hand, it would be enough
if we could obtain such a behavior in a device link built with
collink. Is this possible?

Thanks,
        Ignacio

PS: These are the references I have found int the list...
//www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/profile-S-g
//www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/perceptual-black-too-light
//www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Gamut-mapping-problems-in-110
//www.freelists.org/post/argyllcms/Device-link-gamut-mapping-how-to-do-it-right