[argyllcms] Re: OT: random thought on display gamut

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:57:38 +1100

Ben Goren wrote:
It just occurred to me that it might be practical to create a display with a
gamut that
encompasses the entirety of human vision by using not three but five primaries.

This has been done. If you look though the past proceedings of the CIC
you will come across articles detailing such displays.

Keep the three red, green, and blue primaries we're familiar with, but also add
fourth in the near infrared and a fifth in the near ultraviolet, both right at
(or
barely beyond?) the very edge of the limits of perception.

No, it doesn't work that way. The eye is not (visually) very sensitive
to such extremes, and would be damaged by levels that are perceptible.

There would be safety concerns with the UV, of course, but I wouldn't think it
would
need either a high frequency or a high intensity.

Expanded gamut is achieved by putting more primaries around the
spectrum locus. An additive display can only reach colors formed by
the convex hull of the primaries, while the spectrum locus is
a curve. So the more primaries you have the better you can
approximate the curve.

There is a way of expanding the gamut of a conventional display
without such technology, simply by manipulating the white point.
This could be done using ICC profiles, although the operating
systems GUI's (because they generally aren't color managed)
will tend to sabotage this approach.