[argyllcms] Re: OT: PDF frustration

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:55:05 +0200

edmund ronald wrote:
I think rather than waste  effort on another programming effort, it
might be time for some one to create some nice probe files and
profiles, so that whenever an app comes out we demonstrate the
bugs/design flaws cleanly by means of the probe files and profiles.

James Vogh demoed his probs at the last ICC conference, and even on
the Mac where color management is well integrated one could see things
changing depending where a file was displayed in the finder
(coverflow).

There are already several PDF test files available. In particular the Altona test suite [1] and the Ghent Output Suite [2] are worth mentioning:

"The Altona Test Suite consists of three DIN A3 size PDF pages. [...] 'Altona Visual' consists of numerous elements that make it possible to quickly judge the reproduction of the page in terms of color fidelity and correct imaging. [...] 'Altona Technical' addresses overprint simulation as well as handling of all font types that are allowed in PDF 1.3 -- and thus PDF/X-3 -- files.

Extensive documentation explains the structure of the three pages and offers guidelines for the evaluation of results achieved by processing the Altona Test Suite pages."

[1] <http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=en:downloads#altona_test_suite>
[2] <http://www.gwg.org/ghentoutputsuite.phtml>