[argyllcms] Re: Newbie help?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 19:59:20 -0700
On 2006 May 1, at 7:11 PM, David R. Gangola wrote:

> Ben Goren wrote:
>
>> I've got a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Design that I'd really, really
>> like to use  with Argyll--which is exactly what  I've spent the
>> past few days trying to do.
>>
>> But...I'm poor.
>
> I know the feeling!

And I'm a lot poorer now than this time last week....

>> Granted, this was  with a smallish chart (only  64 patches, one
>> paper white), but I'm sure Argyll can't be /that/ bad.
>
> Argyll is quite good.  Astonishingly so.

Everything I've come across about it  says that it's as good as it
gets, as good as or better than any commercial tool on the market.
Frankly, I'm hoping to make back some  of the money I spent on the
i1 by  selling profiling  services locally. (And, if  I do,  and I
make enough, I'll be tossing a bit of it Graeme's way, of course.)

There's  simply no  way what  I'm seeing  can be  Argyl's fault--I
mean, sky blue middle ``gray''s  and lime green dark ``gray''s? No
way.

> I started  with a Colormouse,  and was so impressed  that bought
> the I1 Design specifically for Argyll.

I hadn't heard  of Colormouse before. Their Web  site says they're
discontinuing the whole shebang and  they're only selling stock on
hand.  And the price for  the spectrophotometer is about what I'll
wind  up  being  out  of  pocket  for  after  I  get  the  Chromix
ColorGear rebate for an old densitometer. I think I made the right
choice....

>> I tried to compile David Gangola's  cpxchg, but all I found was
>> the  one  he posted  to  the  list...and  that needs  a  couple
>> #include  files that  I didn't  find. ColorPort ``feels''  like
>> the  superior tool  of  the two,  but I'd  almost  put up  with
>> hand-transcribing readouts from Eye-One Share at this point, if
>> that's what it took to get started on the right path.
>
> Colorport seemed like the way to go for me, so I re-invented the
> wheel.  The cpxchg utility is intended to be compiled within the
> Argyll build  environment.  The missing include  files come from
> there.  If you like, I can send you the binary.  Hopefully, that
> will get you  on the right track without having  to try to build
> Argyll.

Well,  before you  start  tossing binaries  around...I've got  the
Argyll source, and  I changed the #includes in cpxchg  to point to
the right place. This is where I'm at now:

cpxchg.c: In function 'usage':
cpxchg.c:156: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
cpxchg.c: In function 'cgats_rename':
cpxchg.c:168: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
cpxchg.c:172: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcpy'
cpxchg.c: In function 'convert_filename':
cpxchg.c:231: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strrchr'
cpxchg.c:235: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'malloc'
cpxchg.c:235: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
cpxchg.c:238: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcpy'
cpxchg.c:239: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcat'
cpxchg.c:248: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strrchr'
cpxchg.c:252: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'malloc'
cpxchg.c:252: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
cpxchg.c:255: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcpy'
cpxchg.c:256: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcat'
cpxchg.c:261: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'malloc'
cpxchg.c:261: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
cpxchg.c:264: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strncpy'
cpxchg.c:266: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strcat'
cpxchg.c:272: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
cpxchg.c: In function 'work':
cpxchg.c:313: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
cpxchg.c:325: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_new_cgats
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

(This is on Mac OS X 10.4.6.)

The way I  see it, if the archives have  build instructions, maybe
it'll  save the  next  poor  schmuck some  of  his hair. Or,  even
better, maybe  we can  convince Graeme to  include it  with Argyll
itself....

Cheers,

b&