[argyllcms] Re: New to CMS - looking for advice on device to use with argyllcms

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:42:13 +1100

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

Well how do you spot drift in the first place? My guess is that for those of us whose goal is "nice photographic prints", not "must match the press or you're fired" -

Actually "must match the press" is usually easier, since the goal is
typically to match a proof, so the proof can & should be measured by
the same instrument used to measure the press, so any inaccuracy in
the instrument tends to get canceled out.

It's when you're trying to match to some numerical target
(ie. a given profile) or match from emissive to reflective
that the accuracy and consistency of different instruments starts
to become important.

the first sign of trouble will be greys losing neutrality? If so, could one not simply spotread the grey patches of an IT8.7 chart, and fudge some sort of correction based on those?

I wouldn't have thought so, unless the calibration plaque is drifting
and becoming non-neutral, although a shift in greys for emissive measurement
is more of a possibility. I would imagine that the inaccuracy would
creep in in more chromatic colors, where relative spectral amplitude
and wavelength calibration are more critical. Without a chromatic
reference this might be hard to spot (and even things like BCRA tiles
tend to be less stable if they are highly chromatic, due to thermochromism
effects.)