[argyllcms] Re: Need help figuring out just why my profile isn't working

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:57:03 -0600

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 15:42 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > Is is possible to check those devices, at least roughly, without sending
> > them to Xrite?
>
> It's unlikely that both devices are misbehaving in exactly the
> same way, since they use quite different technology. Since
> you haven't provided any details of your problems, there's
> not much one can suggest.
>
> Graeme Gill.

The problem arises with two color managed applications under (Fedora or
Ubuntu) Linux: gimp and inkscape.  It is more apparent in the
highlights.  It seems as if the profile is overcorrecting the
calibration.  It may be true that it improves using a LUT profile rather
than a shaper matrix, but I'm not sure about that.

The problem could be something in lcms, which, I presume, both
applications use.  Or, it could be something about how I'm going about
making the profiles.

I would like to provide details.  Can anyone suggest just which details
would be useful.  I've run profcheck, but I'm not sure what to look for
in its output.  More generally,  I don't know how to interpret the
various numbers I get when running the argyll programs.   I have Real
World Color Management, which I read.  I could reread it, but sometimes
it uses terms differently from the way argyll uses them.   There is
probably something in the argyll documentation that would help me, but
so far it hasn't penetrated.

I presume I can `fix' my problem by manually editing the profile, but I
don't know know enough at present to do that.
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University