[argyllcms] Re: More questions about monitors

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:20:42 +0200 (CEST)

Am 02.04.09, 19:03 +0200 schrieb Pascal de Bruijn:
> I'm not loading the calibration, because it's way to bothersome. Having to
> load
> the calibration data everytime I'm going to use a color managed application.
>
> I'd rather let the application do all of the corrections. Even if it
> might it's slightly
> less accurate.

The monitor calibration, especially the graphic card LUTs, does not
or not much affect the output quality. Accessing the in monitor LUTs is
currently out of scope for open source tools without signing a NDA. This
could indeed bring a quality improvement.

> In the end I'm not a professional... So don't need the highest
> possible accuracy...

Do not bother to much, the calibration improves mainly the appearance
of non colour managed areas on the screen.
For colour managed areas the graphic card LUTs usualy degrade quality,
especially if a data source has to provide more than 8-bits per channel.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management