[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration questions

  • From: Michel Joly de Lotbinière <michel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:36:17 -0500

I've always had better results on my notebook LCD panel with a 1
channel shaper curve matrix profile. No matter what I do
(preconditioning the target patches, increasing the number of
measurement patches, specifying a gamma close to native response,
etc.), I still get faintly warm black values in the grayscale range
RGB(3,3,3) to about RGB(30,30,30), whether the CMM is the Windows one
or LittleCMS. The grayscale is only entirely neutral when the profile
is a single channel matrix/shaper type.

The real, recent surprise for me was upgrading to the most up-to-date
of ArgyllCMS + Florian Hoech's dispcalGUI: I simply set-up dispGUI to
use the high-quality profiling options, D6500, gamma 2.2, the extended
patch set (just 80+ patches, I think), and to produce a 1-channel
shaper/matrix profile unattended, and when I returned from the
supermarket, the result was entirely acceptable, totally easy &
trouble-free in bringing the LCD colors to a known, usable state.

Hats off to Graeme and Florian! The commercial vendors of
user-friendly monitor profiling packages might want to start
worrying...