[argyllcms] Re: LibUSB

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 20:46:23 +0200

Hi,

Am 11.09.2010 20:00, schrieb Roger Breton:
I don't suppose there is a known, "easy way" to alternate between X-Rite's
libraries and Argyll's libraries without having to dig into the deep recess
of Windows's drivers every time?

I think it's not that bad ;) But agreed, the process to switch drivers is a bit lengthy (although I can do it quite fast by now - all in all takes me around ~15 seconds if I'm reasonably swift). That said, Argyll 1.2.1 really made Win64 driver installation a lot easier (props to Graeme for that), without all the driver signing that was needed before.

I confess being very happy with Argyll's leading-edge capabilities, but
every now and then I need to escape out of libUSB, for reasons of
compatibility with non-Argyll's CMS applications. And then, it's a riot. I
remember a point where I just could not plugged an i1 into this PC without
it being for ever linked with Argyll's libUSB.
No amount of Computer>Manage>  Device>  ... to switch the driver around
from X-Rite's or Argyll's would ever work :(

Oh, that's unfortunate :( Thankfully hadn't that ever happen for me, yet.

I'd wish there was a small utility that would allow probing the state of
drivers related to the i1 family, showing the current active driver
publisher, corresponding filename, etc,, and have a button to friendly
switch the driver around to libUSB. And back. Is such a driver not possible
to program? I remember Graeme explaining once that it couldn't be done :(

Such an utility would sure be handy. I googled a bit if anything like a generic 'driver switcher' existed, no luck unfortunately.

Best / Roger

Roger Breton wrote:

Does Argyll's latest release still requires libUSB for Windows?

Yes.
Changelog v1.2.0:
[...]
* Use a modified/forked version of libusb V1.0, that supports Win2K
  (libusb0.sys) back end by default. Supports 64 but MSWin using a
combination of WinUSB.sys and ptlibusb0.sys.
[...]

Regards
--
Florian Höch