[argyllcms] LUT versus XYZ monitor profile

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:02:53 +0300

Andrzej Duda wrote:

> so I've made another one using the same .ti3 file and -ax. This time
> no warning messages and much better
> numbers :
> profile check complete, peak err = 0.377113, avg err = 0.024427, RMS
> = 0.043701
> compared with the -al version:
> profile check complete, peak err = 2.473854, avg err = 0.363055, RMS
> = 0.458722
>
> But the new profile gives more banding in dark grays and rather
> strange 3D in 'gamt' tag.
> ?

I confirm that generally XYZ-LUT profiles are tend to significant banding in
real use. The banding is preventing the use of -ax key for display or camera
profiling. The quality of such profiles is unacceptable (ArgyllCMS V1.0.4. I've
didn't try -ax with latest versions). IMHO, much more smoothing is needed for
XYZ data in the darks, may be in overall.