[argyllcms] Is it possible to calibrate a printer using a scanner?

  • From: Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:56:24 +0200

Hello,

First, thank you for working hard on Argyllcms for years. I am using
Gnome-Color-Manager and I am impressed by the quality of Argyll.

My question is: spectrometers are expensive tools, is there a way to use
a scanner to calibrate a printer?

This could be:
* Calibrate the scanner using a target print.
* When a scanner is well calibrated, print the target calibration file.
* Scan the resulting print.
* Compare scanned colors with calculated colors.

Is this workable for a cheap and fast solution?
Can argyll do that?

What would be the drawbacks of such a solution?

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel