[argyllcms] Re: ICC files and OSX ; Missing target gamma in icc issue?

  • From: "Christopher E. Brown" <chris.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:48:15 -0800

Graeme Gill wrote:
> Make sure that the universal access controls haven't been set accidentally
> (it's quite easy to do this with certain key presses). Having
> "Enhance contrast" set will stuff up calibration and profiling.

All off.

> I understand that some of the very recent Mac's also have an adaptive
> brightness mode. This will also mess up calibration and profiling.

I disabled during initial machine setup.

>> I had assumed that I should calib for 2.2, so that even apps without
>> color management ability would display material the same as all of my
>> other systems (everything else I work with is 2.2).
>
> If that's the case, then yes. But typically things like the windows
> decorations are not color manages, so they won't look that good.
> Non-Apple applications are often not color managed either (ie.
> 3rd party web browsers).

In my case a number of exported displays from my *nix stations.

> It's more likely to be in your system setup. There was some
> discussion on the ColorSync list recently on how to deal with the
> gamma 2.2 vs gamma 1.8 setup, but I don't recall the details.
>
> See
> <http://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2005/Sep/msg00268.html>
> <http://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2005/Sep/msg00268.html>
> for some posts that may be pertinent.

I'll dig further, but I have been through everything setup wise on the
system.

I have loaded a number of 3rd party ICC profiles, both gamma 1.8 and 2.2

All of the profiles that list the target value work correctly (other
than the color cast due to the profile being for a different display),
no blown highlights or extreme saturation.

The with the argyll profiles if set to 2.2, major blowout, etc.

Maybe odd/different behavior in OSX?

> The profiles contain per device curves as part of the shaper/matrix style
> display profiles. There are two tag types the curves, one being
> a single gamma number, and the other being a detailed shape curve define
> by a table. The simpler profiles use a number. Because Argyll generates
> more detailed profiles than this, it uses shaper curves, hence the lack
> of gamma tags. It's unlikely this has anything to do with your issues.
>
> Graeme Gill.

You know alot more about this than me

I am looking at

tag 5: