[argyllcms] Re: I don't understand the -u option

  • From: Lars Tore Gustavsen <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:38:48 +0100

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Leonard Evens
<len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason for my concern is the following.  I use gimp to modify my
> digital images and regularly save the results on CDs and DVDs.  I would
> like what I scan to look approximately the same when and if I, or
> someone else, possibly using a different monitor and
> calibration/profile, at some time in the future.  Every time I make
> changes in a digital file, I lose some information, so I would like what
> I ave to represent some `final product' or something as close to that
> which I can manage.  I can always go back and rescan film, if necessary,
> but I can't recreate my original digital camera images.   Perhaps I
> should always save the original files, but that would require quite a
> lot of duplication, so I don't want to do that if it is not necessary.

If you have configured gimp to pick up your monitor profile the gamma
does not matter. So a mac user with a gamma of 1.8 and you with 2.8
will experience the same visual image, if both of you have
colormanaged applications. For non color managed application the
difference will be huge.

Don't believe all this gamma tests, I think that topic have been
discussed here before.

Regards
Lars Tore Gustavsen