[argyllcms] Help needed: printer profiling with xrite dtp-41b

  • From: Ron Gage <ron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 20:00:24 -0500

I have a few questions regarding profiling a printer with an X-Rite DTP-41B.

I have the samples generated, the .ps file generated (1053 samples, letter size) and have printed the 3 .ps files on my printer (Epson Photo Stylus 2200) with all color management turned off.

Every attempt to read the printed samples returns a read error. I believe that communications to the XRite is fine since it does control the device and does read the press of the device button.

Are there any tips I need to be aware of for getting good reads with the XRite? Things like printing (I printed with the image centered on the paper (Letter) and not stretched to fit the paper). Should the sample patches be any particular size in order to maximize the chances of getting good reads? When loading the sample printouts, should the read sensor be located before the first sample or on it? Which edge is the "leading edge" of the printout - the side with the strip id markers or the blank size? Should there be any white space around the sample patches (i.o.w: should I trim down the printout)? The printout has a couple of dashed lines on it - are these cut lines, fold lines or just decorations?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron