[argyllcms] Re: Having rouble with chartread

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:18:35 +1100

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
Oh really? Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a
terminal beep in a while. I do tend to disable system sounds, but I've
just tried and failed to make a terminal beep happen on three recent
versions of Ubuntu!

It seems that recent operating systems are making this harder and harder.
MS Vista/Win7 dropped the PC speaker driver, so you don't hear anything
unless you have some sort of speaker plugged into the audio
system. This is a step backwards in my view.

It seems like Linux is heading in the same direction...

Getting the beeping working will speed up your EyeOne and Munki
strip reading considerably, since you don't have to look at
the screen.