[argyllcms] Re: Generated camera profile too bright

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:00:19 -0400

Hi Chris,

I didn't mean that you used sRGB, I meant that when an image is
untagged, and by definition a raw color image is untagged, the imaging
software assumes the image is in the sRGB color space. So as the raw
color NEF has a linear gamma, of course it looks very dark. And the
NEF is in fact underexposed by about one full stop. Please look at the
additional images I posted, with a step-by-step sequence:

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/temp/axf9375-nef.html

As you can see, if you look, assigning a profile to a raw color image
makes all the difference in the world as to how it looks. There is
nothing wrong with how the dark looking image was processed, except
for profiling purposes it would have made more sense to give it an
additional stop of positive exposure compensation.

When you compare the Nikon converted BetaRGB image values to the
linear raw color image, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Can the Nikon software output a raw color linear image?

Elle