[argyllcms] Re: Generated camera profile too bright

  • From: "Andreas F.X. Siegert" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:26:35 +0200

on 03.04.2012 09:00 Graeme Gill said the following:
> Maybe there's something about how your workflow converts
> from RAW to .tiff that is a problem ? Maybe it's not scaling
> the RAW numbers to the full 16 bit .tiff range ?

Well, my current understanding is that I need to generate a TIFF from the
raw file with that app without the app applying any corrections or profile.
That results in a very dark image as no gamma or other other modifications
are applied (this is the TIFF I put on the web site).

So it might be the app is applying an additional boost or just gamma on top
of the profile to get to proper exposure values and if the profile tries to
do it on its own, I get overexposure.

I tried boosting exposure in linear mode to get close to 100% and the
resulting profile seems to be fine.
But I am worried that this boost will result in a profile that might lead to
problems elsewhere later on.

cheers
afx

--