[argyllcms] Re: Gamut mapping problems in 1.1.0

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:38:10 +1100

Martin Weberg wrote:

1. collink -G -ip -cmt -dpp ProPhoto.icm ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc devlink.icc

ProPphoto is an enormous gamut, comparable to "XYZ" or "Lab"
PCS gamuts, so I'm not at all surprised that there is noticeable
loss of saturation. You need to treat it like a PCS, and establish
a realistic source gamut if you are not to loose saturation
unnecessarily. It's possible that V1.0.4 wasn't behaving this
way if it wasn't compressing the ProPhoto gamut properly,
due perhaps to changes in the CIECAM02 handling of out of gamut
colors.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if V1.1.0 is slightly
less saturated for Perceptual in places than V1.0.4 due to
the aim of better detail preservation. It's also possible that
the saturation within the gamut is somewhat less ("knee" factor),
and this could be tweaked if in general it is seen as desirable.

[Yes I'm now in Albuquerque :-)]