[argyllcms] Re: Gamut mapping not-monotonic

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 23:20:12 +1100

Vittorio Villani wrote:
consistent instrument. Have you got any experience with the ColorMunki. Is it
normal
that, after I calibrate or disconnect the instrument, I can get a*b* values
from -1 -1
to +1 +1? I am using the ColorMunki software to get the L*a*b* values
(ColorMunki Photo
ColorPicker).

Someone else has reported some slight drift, possibly due to temperature
effects.
I haven't noticed such things myself (in fact I've seen remarkably consistent
results under some circumstances). For instance, reading a grey patch
twice, with a disconnect and recalibrate between:

1) 51.195461 -0.069722 -0.464168
2) 51.205465 -0.066214 -0.470761
3) 51.219005 -0.059376 -0.446057

Note that I was very careful not to move the instrument between the
measurements.

After moving the instrument slightly:

4) 50.942503 -0.010779 -0.569384

So homogeneity of the sample seems a far larger source of inconsistency
than the instrument, over the short term at least.